Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Black Talon: There Was a Crooked Man...

I wanted to get this up yesterday, but it took most of the night to do the lettering because my computer was being a jerk. Apparently watching Hulu and manipulating large files at the same time is a no go. Anyway, instead of a 'my birthday present to you' this is, I guess, our St. Patrick's Day present to you. So if you're not Irish you can't read it. Luckily today everyone is Irish, and also I have no way to enforce that rule. Below is a short three page supplemental comic for The Black Talon. It's unrelated to The Rejects, excepting that it takes place in the same universe. I hope to give a little more insite into their universe whenever I can. One of the guys over at Digital Strips didn't like how the thugs in the comic were too much like geeks. I do see where he's coming from, but from my position: in a world where are the comic book stereotropes they talk about actually happen, they're not being geeks. To them, these are real life scenarios. The Rejects is a story that poses the question "What would a superhero universe look like to the civilians." It takes place in a town that's big enough for crime, but small enough that there are no other superheroes around. The criminals are small-time and the heroes (Chris and Eric) are even smaller. I'm hoping sheding a little more light on the universe will bring that more starkly to the light. The Black Talon is played for serious. The only real joke is in treating such an utterly ridiculous villain with a serious sinister tone. Enjoy



Wally did an awesome job whipping these up in the last week. Again bringing what I wrote on the page to life in a much more dynamic way than it was in my head.

Also, Paul Mckinney did a cool poster for the Zuda March contest that features Chris and Eric that everyone should totally see.

Please remember to go vote!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome :D He's pretty darn awesome! And the art style is so cool...I love creepy, rhyme-y characters lol (I actually heard of the Crooked Man in a comic book...)
    Cool writing and art together!

    ReplyDelete